[nagdu] GPS was Test Walk?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Feb 4 14:55:23 UTC 2012

I have the Sendero GPS running on a BrailleNote PK.  I'm not real happy
with it, though I've seen others do better, so maybe it's me.
It does give directions, and I have used it often to find roughly where
something is.  But, even if I put in an address and create a route to that
address, it doesn't reliably tell me when I've arrived.  The last thing I
tried this with was back across a parking lot, but I thought at least the
GPS should say I was close.  It didn't.  It's also not very useful in
midtown Manhattan, with all its tall buildings.  It frequently tells me
I'm on 43rd going west, when in truth I'm past 41st and heading south.  I
was advised to stand still on the corner until the GPS catches up with
itself, but I've got places to go, things to do.
It has however been very helpful on buses in New Jersey, where it has
several times helped me find my stop.  On the other hand, in NJ, I
recently got off the bus early to walk the rest of the way, and mistakenly
went around a round corner, and the GPS did not catch that my direction
had changed, or what street I was walking down.
And the BrailleNote PK crashes  about once a month, and sometimes freezes
up in the GPS ap.  It's small, which is why I got it, but I think it
really doesn't have enough RAM or something.

Maybe the Sendero GPS  works better in a more open area than the
megalopolis.  Or maybe some other system works better.  I'd be interested
to hear.
Tracy