[nagdu] Pilot in 1987

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Feb 6 17:45:47 UTC 2012

because Doug we expect a dog that is trained both in guide work and in basic obedience. If I didn't want either of that, I'd owner-train.
Because we get dogs to make our lives easier and if I have to put too much time energy and/or money into making a dog behave and do what I expected it would do, I have to wonder at what point do I throw in the towel.
Because sometimes you may get a dog with an undisclosed and/or unknown medical issue.  I think this is what happened with both of my dogs.  The first shed like there was no tomorrow, the second would get into these periods of rapid breathing.
With my second dog, I told the school even when I was in training that she seemed to lack stamina. Unfortunately I used the phrase "my old dog" in this discussion and they totally discounted what I was telling them.

I did mention the breathing to my vet who responded with "she looks fine to me".
It was only when my second dog retired and the people that adopted commented on her breathing that I was convinced that this wasn't all in my head.
Very rarely does a handler say "f** it, I'm going to not give a crap, I'll let my dog run wild".

Trying to work a dog that isn't up to the task can wear you out, physically and mentally.  It can make you question what you know to be true, because the schools would never give out a dog that isn't able to do the job?? Right??