[nagdu] Getting a guide dog

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 22:38:53 UTC 2012

RJ,

Good grief! What a nightmare people are making for you! I am so sorry
that you have to put up with it.

In short, I chose guide dog because I just love dogs and knew I would
love that way of travel over cane. I'm a good cane traveler, but... I
prefer dog. Because I love dogs, I don't see all the hassles and all as
hassles. /smile/ Also, my decision was made for me by physical abuse
from staff at the Oregon Commission for the Blind headquarters. Using a
cane afterwards was making the original injuries worse by leaps and
bounds, and there was no way I could ever hope to start getting the
injuries healed while using a cane to go everywhere. Sigh. Because those
injuries and other events at the time I was there brought my old
fibromyalgia out of remission -- or caused a whole new onset, as it
seems to me -- I needed to deal with the travel problem and became
physically unable to even *think* about the rigors of a guide dog
program. So I got me a poodle pup and when she proved to have "the right
stuff," just up and trained her myself. /smile/ I had tons of training
experience since I was too young to remember, so I knew I had the right
stuff, too, but it was a pretty daunting project. I still sometimes find
myself going about with my super duper poodle guide and feel suddenly
shocked. How'd that happen? /lol/

As an owner-trainer, I know all about getting, um, strong-smelling brown
stuff over every decision you make to do  with dogs canes socks... Oh,
my! Who needs it?

That's my story.

Your story is your story. Your decisions are your decisions. Remembering
that when everybody else is telling you what your story is according to
them and what you should do based on the life and times they have so
kindly invented for you is not easy. In fact, it is just plain maddening!

Your reasons are yours. They reflect your reality. And most of us on the
list can easily remind you that you have been gathering information to
make the best decision for yourself for quite a while. If you wish to
stick with your cane at this point in your life -- or for all the rest
of it -- that is *no one's* choice but yours.

Oh, and when you live in a place with no sidewalks and no safe place to
walk where traffic won't mow you down... Even with a guide dog, you will
need a ride. Trust me, I go nuts over being in that position every day.
/lol/ It's just a regular item on my to do list so that I can get it out
of my system and get on with my day so I can give myself better options.
/grin/ If people want to grump at me about my decisions about how to
deal with what exists in the real world, I just smile blandly and shrug.
If they want to go risk their lives doing what they think I should do,
fine. People die out there, and they have sight and everything. I don't
think anyone else's approval is worth dying over, and I'm sure not going
to risk my dog. She's got great traffic training and is a total pro. But
she can't do magic with a road full of crazy, inattentive
non-law-abiding drivers with no protection between us and them. Sooner
or later... So. That's my decision. If I make the wrong decision to
please someone else, they won't be haunted for the rest of their broken,
crippled lives by what they let happen to a really great dog, will they?
Nope!

Don't know if that attitude of mine is helpful for you, but I got it a
long time ago from someone very wise. If someone tells you to go play in
the freeway, and you do it because they want you to and you want to make
them happy... They don't get run over. You do. /smile/

Best to you! Sooner or later, you can get to a point where you are
surrounded by people who respect and support you for who you are. It is
not always easy, though, as I also know. And it's really tough when the
pressure is so much and you hear the same thing over and over so often
and said so strongly and reinforced so heavily that you doubt yourself.

You're doing well!

Tami