[nagdu] Running

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 8 23:05:29 UTC 2012

I wrote this to another list recently, but I think it's the sort of info
you are looking for.  so I cut and pasted it below.
***
I used to run with my guide dog.   Since I broke my foot, running is
pretty much a thing of the past for me. *smile*  Anyway here are some
things that
I  found important.

Find a smooth, flat, no obstacle, no sharp turns place to run.  There
might be a track you can use.  Here we have paved hike and bike trails
that worked
very well for me.

When you are moving at the faster pace you will have less time to react
to the movements of your guide.  This is why a smooth, no obstacle, no
sharp turns
place to run is absolutely essential. Be sure to not grip the handle too
tightly which could cause a stumble if he moves to suddenly.

Be sure your guide, as well as yourself, are up for running.  Just like
with people a dog shouldn't be expected to go from only walking for
exercise to
running a few miles overnight.  You'll need to work up to it.  A
consultation with your vet wouldn't hurt to make sure your guide is in
good health for
running.

Now this next part is difficult to explain and most likely is going to
involve some trial and error to get it right.  Depending on the natural
pace of
your dog and his height he may change his gait into a sort of lope.  It
is really hard to follow a guide when they do this.  It feels like the
dog is lunging
forward and then falling back.  I find the best combination is when I'm
at a jog and my guide was at a very fast walk or maybe you'd call it a
trot.  You'll
most certainly feel the difference as his gait changes as you go faster.

Take it slow so you are both comfortable, confident with your movements
and safe.  Best of luck!
Julie