[nagdu] guide dog in 1934 fiction

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Feb 9 16:54:34 UTC 2012

I'm a volunteer proofreader for Bookshare in my spare time.  The book I'm
currently working on is a reprint of some action-hero pulp fiction from
1934.  In one story, the hero is temporarily blinded, but he still has to
go get the bad guys, so he uses his Great Dane as a guide dog.
I was surprised to see that in a story from 1934.  The guide dog movement
was only a few years old at that time.  Though blind people had sometimes
trained their own dogs for millenia, so maybe that's what inspired the
author to put in a guide dog.
It seems like every hero has to be blind at some point, but I can't think
of too many who used a guide dog of any sort.  Only Sam in Quantum Leap
comes readily to mind.
Tracy