[nagdu] ouch, that hurt... is this normal?

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 11 06:03:24 UTC 2012

Hi Hana:

Reflecting back on Bogart and my early days, he did run me into a couple of things. One was a bench at a bus stop that we were passing. Caught it right in the knee. Boy that really hurt. I had to correct him but then I had to let it go and trust him not to do that again which he hasn't. The other thing he caught was the edge of a building because it was raining so he was hugging the buildings where there was less rain. Again, I got it in the knee. I corrected him, pointed out what he hit, corrected him and then off we went (with me limping a bit). Since then I can't recall anything he has tun me into that wasn't partially my fault.

Poodles are easily distracted. More than labs. Often I have to get Bogart's attention back on  guiding. He does a great job but has to be verbally , and sometimes with leash corrections, pulled  bak into paying attention. His triggers are pigeons, other dogs and women who make contact.

The key thing to remember is to correct her but then you have to let it go and trust her totally again. It is the trust and the love that makes things work out for you and your dog. Make sure you do things that are fun when not guiding too. Poodles take longer to create that bond but once they have it, it is really solid.

Be patient, the thing one needs with poodles the most, and everything will work out. Your relationship is so young. In the first week or two I had bogart at home I did fairly easy routes. gradually as I felt us working good together I ramped up the difficulty to see how he would do. Generally he did well. We have our moments where one of us is out of sync but that is getting less and less a year and a half lster.

Have fun, trust and love and I think it will work out fine.

Gary