[nagdu] Dogs At Work

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Feb 11 23:40:16 UTC 2012

Mark,

I do both.  Sometimes I take the harness off and sometimes I leave it
on.  It just depends on if I have things to do in the building that day
and will be taking it off and putting it on multiple times or if I will
be just at my desk.  I typically work 4 hours at a stretch and rarely do
I take a break.  I sometimes shut my office door and let Monty wander
around the room out of harness because sometimes he needs to stretch.

Legally it makes no difference whether or not the harness is off or on.
On occasion I have walked with Monty just on leash out to the drinking
fountain or to the restroom.   It is the training that makes the guide
dog not the harness.  There is no legal requirement of any sort of
equipment.

All that said, people get confused when a guide dog is not in harness.
If it were going to cause problems for me or cause a load of questions
or interruption to my day, I'd leave the harness on.

HTH
Julie