[nagdu] Concrete was Re: going off leash

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 06:12:13 UTC 2012

Hi.

At Guiding Eyes our dogs learned to relieve on concrete.  Brie will go
on either concrete or grass.  She prefers grass because she likes to
sniff and sniff forever.  I prefer concrete because she does not sniff
and sniff forever on concrete.  :)

Unfortunately, at my school I use grass to park her because it is more
available.  At my mom's and dad's houses I use concrete.  I'd use
exclusively concrete if I could.  She takes so much less time to park
on concrete.  Also, in the grass she is a lot more picky about where
she relieves.

Now you know what the most fun is: parking in snow!  *sarcastic*

On 2/13/12, Toni Whaley <blind_treasurer at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've gotten dogs from Guiding eyes for the blind and Seeing eye. At both
> schools we relieved on concrete. All of my eight dogs learned to do this,
> and I continued to have them relieve on concrete forr a long time after I
> got home. This waas because for most of the 30 years I've had a guide dog I
> worked in downtown Philadelphia where there is very little grass. After some
> time I then allowed the dogs to relieve on grass at home and other
> locations. This change in policy didn't cause my dogs to stop relieving on
> concrete. All of them learned to pull to thee curb when they wanted to
> relieve. Of course, sometimes it wasn't safe to relieve at the curb on the
> street we were walking along. But they learned I knew they had to go and
> would find the nearst safe place (less busy street, alley, parking lot, or
> driveway) for them.
>
> Toni

>>> for a short walk, this might just be what she needs to get her to go pee
>>> and
>>> poop. Some dogs need to be stimulated to  go and a walk can help with
>>> getting her to go. Also always keep Princess on leash when outside with
>>> her.
>>> Because if you don't have Princess on leash, she can take off and have
>>> free
>>> run of the area and since Princess and you are a new team you're still in
>>> the bonding stages and she might not come back to you when you call her
>>> if
>>> she's off leash. Do you live in a apartment complex or a house? Also, if
>>> you
>>> took Princess off leash and she pooped, how would you know where to pick
>>> up
>>> after she goes?  Also, make sure you keep her on leash next to you or in
>>> crate or on tie down until you can get this issue with Princess's
>>> releaving
>>> bahits under control. You got to establish the rules, limits and
>>> boundries
>>> for Princess and let her know that you'r the pack leader and why she