[nagdu] 7 years ago...

Jen&Nixon jenandnixon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:27:08 UTC 2012

It is a special day tomorrow, Nixon and I celebrate 7 years together. It is
hard to believe it was that long ago!

He walked across the stage with me for my college graduation, acted as ring
bearer for my sister's wedding, traveled to the US once a year, started the
pet sitting business together, bring comfort to clients at my volunteer job
at Red Cross, saved my life from "evil" cars, jumped on his puppy raiser
when I went to visit them, sleeping upright at restaurants not caring in the
world showing off his "parts" (LOL!), halloween dress-up contest winner as
angels, Cougars hockey games, setting off fire alarms at college (he
accidentally leaned against fire door while waiting to go into class),
chocolate escapades, "lumpectomy" surgeries, swimming at Forest for the
World, many bus rides, newspaper appearances, TV show taping for Red Cross,
sleeping through job interviews, barking in his sleep at Toastmasters, visit
to ER at California campus during alumni board of directors meeting and
sleeping in the director of training office while getting my dislocated
shoulder back in place, sleeping at weekly bowling leagues, and lastly, his
overflowing bandanna wardrobe!

Nixon is and has so many wonderful friends in Prince George and many will
miss him around town, including staff and volunteers at Red Cross, Tim
Hortons, my doctors, bowling alley, past toastmasters meetings, city council
sub-committees, college, etc.

He seems to be enjoying retirement, despite confusion yesterday morning when
I went to work. Mom took him on an off-leash walk behind our countryside
property. He never felt so thrilling to get to sniff anything, including all
his pee-mail. He is still, at this moment, sleeping in on my bed and it is
past 12 noon!

I'll never forget the feeling when I got Nixon. Sadness, as I was going
through the motions of "second-dog syndrome"... thinking, as we sat down on
the floor together in my dorm room, him staring at me: "Who the #%$#% are
you? Why am I not back in the kennel with my buddies?" I just teared up.
Something must've clicked the following morning, and the thrilling feeling
of the first walk.... I will never for get, only after a block, "Here you go
Jen, you are on your own..." It seemed like we've been together for years!
We sailed along the streets of Gresham smoothly!

I will be purchasing a brand new collar for Nixon, hopefully I can find
something stylish for him and get a new tag, "I'm happily retired!"

Okay, I'm going to close this before I tear up. It is a happy day, but also
sad, as I start the journey back to using "Pete" until I await news on my
class date.

Jen, soon-to-be retiring Nixon, and Mystery Guide Dog #3
Pampered Critters Pet and House Sitting Services
Prince George, BC
pamperedcritters at gmail.com / www.pamperedcritters.ca
<http://www.pamperedcritters.ca/>
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pamperedcritters