[nagdu] Dog on stage?

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 04:44:41 UTC 2012

Hi everyone.

I am in the process of rehearsing for my junior recital, in which I
will perform nearly an hour of music.  My dog Brie usually comes on
stage with me--in master classes, choir concerts, and during recitals,
but this is my first solo recital ever.  She is generally very good on
stage, but this is a long recital.

We have been working on a serious down stay in our obedience time, but
when I'm on stage, I cannot break concentration to correct her or get
her back on track.  If I am distracted, it allows the audience to be
distracted, so I cannot show them that she distracts me.  This poses a
serious problem as you guys can surely imagine.  I feel comfortable
with her because I like to walk on stage with her.  She does a very
good job guiding when we're on stage, but when I have her lay down and
stay, she doesn't always stay where she's put.  This doesn't distract
me anymore, and I've been told from people that it takes away from my
performance.  Of course, I've also been told that she's just a dog and
easy enough to ignore if she flops over or moves her head around while
I'm performing.  What do you guys suggest?

--

Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, participating member in Opera

life."
John 3:16