[nagdu] Canine flu vaccine

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Feb 17 18:25:22 UTC 2012

Ben had his annual checkup yesterday.  He's strong and healthy, which
confirmed my opinion.
The vet offered to give him a canine flu vaccine, which I declined.  The
vet said dogs are most at risk when they congregate with large groups of
dogs, like in dog parks, the groomer's, or a kennel (or the dog track).
Ben doesn't go any of those places, and I want to keep the shots he gets
down to a minimum.
I wondered if others had gotten the vaccine for their dogs.  I might have,
if Ben went to the groomer.

I did get him the lepto vaccine, which is kind of a pain, since he has to
go in for a booster in 3 weeks.  But the chances of him coming into
contact with squirrel urine seem pretty good.  At least, there are lots of
squirrels around here, and Ben's a curious guy. I had assumed that it was
bundled with the distemper shot, DHLP, but this new vet likes it separate.
Tracy