[nagdu] Using a guide dog in a country setting

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 23:08:08 UTC 2012

RJ,

I live in a rural community or at least I'd call it that!  My town is
about 7,000 people.  There are sidewalks for most of the places I
frequently go, though not all.  When you say you have to be driven into
town, do you mean you live on a farm or completely outside of any town?
How far is this drive?  and the roads you will need to walk down that
have no sidewalks, are these dirt country roads, residential side
streets, highways or what?  That makes a big difference.

As far as I know all of the programs train their guide dogs on
sidewalkless roads.   If that's a need of yours they will make sure the
dog you receive is adept at that skill.  Also if you want a guide dog,
I'd contact your preferred school to see what they say about a guide and
your living situation.  I'm guessing the school will be able to give you
much more accurate info than your family.

Julie