[nagdu] allergies

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Sun Feb 26 23:39:24 UTC 2012

Hello:

Well, as you said, each dog is different. I have a shepherd who is just as laid back as you could hope--however, if I tell him it's time to play and whip out the Kong, forget it--he's all over the place. All guide dogs should be "good" with kids, so far as good means not aggressive, tolerant, etc. Labs are known for their outgoing social nature. My mother has poodles, and they seem to be mid-way between a lab and a shepherd on the social scale.

I think it's more important to tell the trainers about the behavior you desire from a dog rather than just the breeds--ideally, all guide dogs will be quiet and still when told to be so, and vice versa. There are general differences in breeds, but some dogs are just different.
One of my class mates at TSE had a shepherd who had the stubbornness of a shepherd but the food drive of a lab. I have a shepherd who is surprisingly social (for a shepherd) but who hasn't the food drive of a lab. He is reserved until he detects that it's time to play, and then as I said, he can be a ball of energy. I don't know much about shedding, allergies, etc., as that wasn't a concern for me. As far as that goes, it would probably be better to focus on different breeds.
So, to recap--focus on individual dogs (and not breeds) for desirable personality traits and breeds for desired allergenic and coat characteristics. I hope this is some tiny photon of help.

Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University
0653 Buckeye-Cuyahoga CT