[nagdu] Going Home with the Wrong Dog was Re: could have, would have, should have

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Feb 27 15:52:19 UTC 2012

I do like to hear both the good and bad about the various schools.  They
all do things right and they all make mistakes.  If I do attend a
program for my next guide, I most certainly will take into account the
experiences others have had at their various programs of choice.   I
realize mismatches happen.  Dogs are placed that maybe shouldn't have
been because they slipped through the cracks or whatever.  When I hear
people recount stories of bad program experiences, what matters to me
more than that a problem occurred, is how that problem was handled.
Was the program respectful of the handler?  Did they offer support?  Did
they give the handler options?  Did they allow the handler to make the
decisions?  Were they honest?  Did they take responsibility for their
part in the problem?  What did they do to make it right?

We all goof up, but what  shows our true character is how we handle
those mistakes.

Julie