[nagdu] Promulgating the Myth

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 28 12:52:10 UTC 2012

Juanita,
    The reason there is the impression that the NFB is anti guide dog is
that it is in the best interest of another organization to promulgate that
myth. In support of this contention, they point to an issue of the Braille
Monitor in which there was a very frank discussion of some very serious
issues experienced at one of our national conventions involving several
guide dogs. I was at that convention and know that the issue had a very
serious impact on the image of the NFB as it related to the hospitality
industry, causing us to have challenges securing venues and decent rates for
our convention. This incident and these discussions led to the current
policies we have concerning leaving our dogs unattended in guest rooms
during NFB-sponsored events.
    The NFB is supportive of whatever method of independent travel one
wishes to use. The National Association of Guide Dog Users is one of the
strongest, largest, and fastest growing divisions in the movement!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG