[nagdu] cooperation vs. force

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 29 16:58:03 UTC 2012

All the recent messages on this list and others concerning corrections,
tie downs, muzzles etc. have me thinking.  Although I'm not absolutely
opposed to corrections, confinement, muzzles or any other sort of
punitive measure that comes to mind, it does make me wonder how the use
of these affect the relationship with the dog.  To me the relationship I
have with my dog is the most important thing.  If that is built from
trust, cooperation and mutual respect then everything else will be
fine.  I want a dog to want to be with me and work with me not out of
fear of a punishment, but because he genuinely enjoys my company.  I
want him to feel empowered to think for himself and to try new things.
I feel that too much use of punishment based interaction will hamper the
ability for him to do these things.  I want him to learn self control so
he can manage his own impulses out of a place of  confidence in his own
choices rather than me micromanaging his life.

I'm not explaining well.   I guess what I'm trying to say is that I
think freedom of choice on the part of the dog is an important thing.
Too often I have fallen into the trap of micromanaging too much of my
dog's lives, not allowing them any amount of freedom.  I regret that.
It is something that I have learned with Monty.  To truly trust a dog
you have to give them opportunities to mess up so they can show you that
they won't.

Julie