[nagdu] cooperation vs. force

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 29 18:58:50 UTC 2012

Cindy,

I think the crux of the issue I'm trying to get to is freedom for the
dog.  Crates are a wonderful thing.  Leashes are too.  Rules are
important for all of us.  But what bothers me or at least what I find
myself coming back to time and again is this idea of micromanaging our
dogs to the point that they have no freedom, no choice and no ability to
just be.

The idea that I am doing something for the good of the dog gives me
shivers sometimes.  Sure taking away an electrical cord the dog is
chewing on is for the good of the dog. Feeding a nutritious high quality
food is for the good of the dog.  However there are loads and loads of
things we lump into this category of "good for the dog", but how do we
know that is really true?   It brings me back to institutions for
disabled people because they were for our own good.  The days when it
was contributory negligence for a blind person to be out alone because
it was for our own good.  Sure people and dogs aren't the same, but I
can't help wondering about some of the things I do, telling myself it is
for the good of the dog.

Monty is a very high energy dog.  He loves running, sniffing and chasing
small furry things.  I knew he would love to run free out near our farm
pond.  I also knew the risk of letting him run off leash.  I struggled
with it for a long time before letting him run free.  I was so nervous
the first time.  Is he running for the road?  Is he going near the
pond?  Is he going to get into a scrap with a small furry animal that
doesn't want to be chased?   Is he okay?  And yes, even though Monty has
an amazing recall there was a part of me that feared him running off
into the sunset in search of something better.

In the end it all worked out.  He is fine off leash.  He loves the
experience and has never gotten himself into trouble of any variety.
The benefit to him to run off leash has far outweighed the risk of
letting him do so, at least to me. However for a long time I told myself
that it was for his own good that I didn't let him or other dogs run off
leash. When I finally did unclip his leash and let him go, after the
fear abated, I realized our relationship and just made a giant leap
forward.  I have no words to express what it means to have a dog that
will run and play and be totally free, but will come back to me in a
moment's notice not because I told him to, but because he genuinely
wants to be with me of his own free will.

I'm not saying that everyone should go forth and let their dogs off
leash to run amuck.  Belle is a good example of this being a sure recipe
for a disaster of mega proportions.  I'm just saying that for me, I have
a deep need in my soul to have a relationship with my dog that is based
on freedom and choice.  I don't want to ever be in a position to have to
force my dog to do anything.  I want them to trust and respect me so
that I am able to ask them to do what I am wanting and they choose
whether or not to do it.  If they refuse to do what I'm asking I want to
know why.  Are they confused?  Not capable of doing the thing?  Telling
me it's a stupid idea? Afraid? or something else.

Anyhow, I'm prone to thinking too much and this is probably another
instance where I have gotten lost in my own pondering. *smile*

Julie