[nagdu] could have, would have, should have

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Feb 29 19:43:06 UTC 2012

Hey Daniel,
Don't beat yourself up.  You did what you felt was best at the time.

I'm sorry this all happened to you. And I do know the heartbreak upon having
to send a dog back. We do get attached emotionally to these dogs!  But you
must see to your own safety as well.

I once had a dog for about two and a half years that turned out to be a dog
that the school shouldn't have even sent out as a guide.  I tried to make it
work.  I was never really endangered by the dog's work like you were but
there were many unacceptable behaviors that caused me alot of grief.  Years
later, when I applied to that school where I got that dog, they even told me
that the dog should never have gone out and they were more careful in what
dogs they passed and I was NOT to blame for the troubles.  And you are not
to blame for the failure of the team.  Dogs and humans are living beings
were there's no guarentees in how the two will gel.  This can happen to
anyone who uses a guide dog.

You need to do what is best for you and you need the time to grieve the loss
of the dog.  You weren't even given the option of keeping the dog for a pet?
Please don't feel that you were a failure at having a guide dog - you
weren't.  Could you have been hard headed, yeah. (grin!) But we all make
mistakes in life and we don't need to beat ourselves up for making them.  It
is up to us to learn from the mistakes we do make and move on.  That's life!

I hope you do decide to try again if you feel that is the right decision for
you.  You do things on your own time and don't let anyone push you into
something you aren't ready for or even want to do.  If you should feel like
trying a dog again, just remember to be as CLEAR as possible to what you
want in a dog, your living situation, working or school situation and the
conditions there.  This information will give the school as clear an image
of you and the environment the dog will be working in.  This will help them
greatly in providing you the best possible match for you.

This sad time will pass and I do hope that nobody on this list does a "told
you!" as that is never helpful to anyone.

Regards,

Lyn and Landon