[nagdu] First person to Use Seeing eye dog in US

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Feb 29 20:45:45 UTC 2012

My parents never even used the word "blind" or "visually impaired".  To them
it was "you girls and your problem" their euphanism for our blindness.
To this day, they STILL say that and they'll never change.  On the other
hand, we NEVER were made to think or treat anyone differently because of the
degree of vision any of the blind kids had.  Thus, I never even knew that
people acted like partials were better than totals until I went to college
and met Perkins grads who told me about this happening to them - my Perkins
grad friends wwere both partials and totals.

AS far as termiology, I don't care one way or another if I'm called
"visually impaired", "partially sighted", or "blind" - doesn't matter to me
as long as I'm not getting crap over it.  What I hate is when people think
I'm faking not seeing well because I "don't look blind".  Well, WTF does
that mean?  I'd ask what did THAT mean?  And the person coouldn't answer me
on that one.  After years, I did find out about the blind stereotypes of
rocking, poking my fists into my eyes, and other social maladjustments.  I
was apalled.  My family raised us to act like everyone else and not do those
habits called "blindisms" and we never did those things.

The NFB has it right when it says, "It's respectable to be blind" and I
agree.  Little totally blind kids need someone to teach them how to act in
public and unfortunately some parents don't get that.  Sighted kids learn by
watching others what is cool to do or not.  Parents OWE that to their blind
kids so that kid grows up acting like everyone else and not having a
horrible habit that makes one stand out in a negative way.

Sighted is NOT better than blind.  Just different ways of doing things.  And
you totals out there don't have to worry when the lights go out!  Or leading
a group to safety like Mike Hingson did in the towers on 9/11.  We are all
people and we all have differnt talents and abilities and we should all
celebrate that fact.

Lyn and Landon