[nagdu] Consumer or Beneficiary?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 2 12:19:32 UTC 2012

Cindy,
    I agree that what we are called by those who provide us with services is
less important than how we view ourselves. I also believe that how we refer
to ourselves is a reflection of how we view ourselves. It is one of my goals
to continue the paradigm shift the NFB began upon its conception and is the
foundation of all our efforts. Through collective action, we have the
ability to shape the way guide dog training programs do business. Serious
problems are created by the imbalance in the relationship between the
training programs and the blind consumer. We see it frequently and accept it
as the status quo without questioning them. When they interfere in our
lives, we hear the tired old phrase of "They must have a reason for it!" but
never demand a reason. When we ask for a reason, we are met with the
self-righteousness of client confidentiality even when the consumer has
given them permission to divulge the information.
    During our 2011 convention, the membership unanimously passed the Guide
Dog Consumers' Bill of Rights. Part of this Bill of Rights requires that
training programs engage due process when removing a dog. however, at the
time of this writing, one program is attempting to remove a dog based only
upon anonymous allegations of neglect. There is no objective evidence and no
right of due process. We saw a similar issue in the past with the same
program and, upon investigation, found that some of the allegations were
false. Due process would have prevented this paternalistic intrusion.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala