[nagdu] News broadcast, a boy and his guide dog

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Jan 4 00:30:32 UTC 2012

http://www.guidedogs.com/site/PageServer?pagename=programs_dog_k9buddy

K9 Buddy and Community Canines

Some of our dogs are better suited for jobs other than guidework. Certain
specially-selected dogs are chosen to become K9 Buddies to blind children;
others continue to support our mission by becoming Community Canines with
agencies and organizations for the blind, search and rescue, companions for
the blind who can no longer have a guide and other capacities, including
hearing dogs.

Our goal is to maximize each dog's potential. Labradors, German Shepherds
and Golden Retrievers are working breeds and they are often most happy when
given a job to do.

Our staff selects dogs that are not destined to become mobility partners for
placement as K9 Buddies for legally blind children and as Community Canines
with blindness professionals and agencies to provide companionship and
improve quality of life. Community Canines are placed with blindness
professionals working with children in schools or in the community.

Our goal is also to maximize our impact on quality of life through
partnerships with these wonderful, loving canines.The dogs come from Guide
Dogs' own colony, but are not qualified to work as mobility assistance
dogs.The dogs available to be placed as Community Canines and K9 Buddies are
black and yellow Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, and Labrador
Retriever/Golden Retriever cross breeds.Most are young dogs that are
unsuitable to be Guide Dogs for medical or behavioral reasons, but would
make excellent companions. Guide Dogs for the Blind strives to match each
individual dog with a home that meets the specific needs of both the dog and
the adopter.

What others say about the K9 Buddy Program: "Although not a mobility dog,
the K9 Buddy placed in our home has made a huge impact on our family. Since
they've become a pair, our daughter has done better in school, has more self
confidence, and her relationships with her classmates have improved."

Learn More:
Read more about applying for a K9 Buddy in our Youth Programs!
Read the story of Gilley, a Community Canine