[nagdu] guide dog handlers/partners

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 4 10:48:52 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
Back when Odie and I worked together as a team, I usually called him my partner since I was his handler.
Despite that we were a team, the work needed to be done in unison as each of us did our parts.
Since he's a medical alert service dog and goes with me when my husband Dale doesn't come along, again, the team partnership kicks in.
No, I don't use the white cane while Odie is in working mode.
I usually just heel him next to me and instead of using the "forward" command, I just tell him let's go.
Yes, Odie still likes to do the guide dog role at times and therefore, I won't ddiscourage it.
Around the time I talked with Jay Gray, the executive director at Pilot in ragrds of Odie's retirement, I told him I'd take the process slowly and easy as Odie wouldn't handle a quick transition.
Jay told me that it wasn't a problem for Odie to be working again in a different career field such as a medical alert service dog. He also figured that Odie wouldn't be happy just lying around not doing anything that he needed to be doing something continuously.
NO, Odie does't get worked into the ground as it was stated on another forum.
When he has days where he simply doesn't feel that he wants to be out and about, then his wishes are respected and he stays home with me if I have no business staying out.
Odie will always be that special partner in heart for life.
Bibi, husband Dale and Odie
medical aert service dog
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf