[nagdu] Seating on Public Transit

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 02:27:06 UTC 2012

Hi Lyn, the belts used to tie down wheelchairs on our buses do not retract
and they fall where ever they are tossed by the driver. My dog has never
gotten caught in them but a lady getting up from the seat to move for a
disabled person, caught her foot in one and she fell and broke her ankle.My
dog has to sit in the isle as there is no where else when my wheelchair is
strapped in.People always stand right over him and when the bus makes a
sudden stop,the person usually looses their balance and steps on my dog. I
ask people to please be careful of my dog but I think they just get even
closer to the dog just to annoy me.These people assure me that they are not
going to step on the dog but they always end up stepping on Shaman.He can't
fit in front or in back of my chair.I have no choice but to let him sit on
the side of me in the isle.When the bus stops to let people on or off,he
usually gets up to let the people pass through the isle but he has usually
already been stepped on.People are very careless when getting off or on the
bus and frequently Shaman gets hit in the head by back packs and walkers
and baby strollers, or kicked as they pass him and don't even see him.Once
a child kicked him intentionally and the parents did nothing to control
their childs behavior. The people of Tucson are generally rude to most
disabled people who ride the bus.  Mardi and Shaman.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/