[nagdu] Dogs Misbehaving was Re: KEEPING POODLES HAIR SOFT AND CURLY

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 23:24:05 UTC 2012

Nicole,

Good reminder. /smile/ She's a strong-willed little twit, too, so I am
training DD not to give the puppy attention when she is misbehaving, but
to redirect and reward... He is learning. So is she!

Mitzi was difficult when she was young, because the worse it was, the
funnier it was... Poodles are hysterical! Mostly when they're being
bad... Mitzi misbehaves in style! /lol/

She's also a good teacher for the puppy, so that's nice. And the pup is
eager to please and does well with applied operant conditioning. I do a
lot of body language, dog whisperer stuff, too. Slowly but surely, she
is beginning to show signs of understanding concepts and chains of
behavior, and to attach meanings to words. So I still use hand signals
for "sit" but more and more I do not need to use that. Same with
recall... Sometimes I need to use body language and hand signals to let
her know what I want her to do, but sometimes the word alone clicks...
So that's fun. /smile/ She is starting to offer up entertaining and
potentially useful positive behaviors, too, which is fun to reward and
attach to commands and stuff. I have a feeling we're going to need to
keep her busy, so teaching her service dog stuff to give her a job is
fun and keeps us all busy. When she's not being a monster, naturally. /grin/

Tami