[nagdu] Owner training

Sharonda Greenlaw sbgreenlaw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:38:56 UTC 2012

Thank you all for sharing your owner-training experiences. I have
thought about doing a little bit of this. Where can I find out more
about training for specific tasks?

Sharonda

On 1/19/12, Tracy Carcione <carcione at access.net> wrote:
> Hi Robert.
> The first owner-trainer I ever met, back in the 1980's, was Paul Gabias, a
> psychology professor now living in British Columbia.  When I asked him
> about owner training one evening over a beer, he said he decided early on
> that dog training was not rocket science, and that he certainly knew
> enough about operant conditioning to do the job, without having to turn
> any control over to any kind of agency serving the blind, as he saw the
> guide dog schools.  His preferred breed was goldens, so he found a breeder
> whose dogs he liked and got a puppy.  I don't know if he did this, but
> some breeders offer a contract allowing the dog to be returned if it's not
> working out in its new home.
> I think Paul started taking the pup-in-training around with him as much as
> possible, as soon as it was reliably housebroken.  I know he also did
> considerable work on specific situations, for example, making sure he dog
> was careful around the lake dock.
>
> Owner-training seems to appeal to you psych guys.
> Tracy

Sharonda Greenlaw
President (Phoenix Chapter)
National Federation of the Blind
Come, read and take a journey with me at
www.WorldOfShariG.blogspot.com
or find me here:
http:\\shari_greenlaw.livejournal.com
Skype: sharonda2004
Twitter: shari_rocks
Facebook: facebook.com/TheSharondaWhiteGreenlaw