[nagdu] my experience with boots

Ioana Gandrabur igandrabur at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 04:48:42 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Nice to be part of the gang again. Smile!

I have had mixed results with boots and this is the reason why I am looking for other options.

To answer your questions in random order:
I walk a few times a week for more than 2 miles one way so 4 back and forth.

The only boots I found that kept slush efficiently from the pads were the pawz. I think I spelled it correctly. They are like balloons and the dogs walk very well with them. Downside is that they brake fast so you need to chack them regularly. They come in packages of 12 or 16 I think. Also not nice to wash and dry and a bit tricky to put on.

The ruf ware (not sure about spelling) given out by gdb are easy to put on and pretty good but in deeper snow stuff gets in. They are good for warm weather too and I always put them on on back paws on escalators. This works since they have a rigid sole. I have seen an other of model of same brand that look great for winter since they have a long sock but pretty water proof and same rigid  sole. Downside is price of 100 $ for 4. Sure would not want to loos one of those!

I tried others but like someone mentioned, they get whet and can fall off in deep snow.
All that being said, if I go out with even broken pawz or any kind of boot I notice that the dogs do not hop on 3 legs anymore. But the paws are cracked and they feel dry so that is why I want to experiment with the wax.
Like your idea, Julie, with the home made one, but I am afraid I am too lazy and want something prepared out of the box.

Hope this exposé helps some and does not bore too many others.

Thanks for your comments and am still curious to hear from other wax users.

Quick foot note that the temperatures I am dealing with is often around -14 celsius or around the 30s. Again the big problem is less snow but the salt combined with cold.

All the best,

Ioana

Please check out my cd on www.ioanagandrabur.com, on iTunes or most online stores.
Sent from my phone