[nagdu] Presentation

loriandleo loriandleo at ohiohills.com
Sat Jan 28 02:07:54 UTC 2012

Hi all,

This morning I gave a presentation to the Northeast Ohio Transit Trainers.
This group is made up of people from all the bus companies in Northeast Ohio
plus representatives from some of the MR/DD agencies. Their purpose is to
train people with disabilities of all types how to travel on public
transportation.

Since I'm blind and take the buses they asked me to speak about my
experiences riding the bus. They also asked for my ideas on how to improve
the service for people with disabilities. This would include the fix route
buses as well as the door to door service.

I talked about Leader Dogs and what Gipp does for me.I also gave a
demonstration by Gipp guiding me through some chairs.I also talked a little
bit about the Trekker. Both during and after my presentation people were
asking me questions about everything I was talking about.

Afterwards we had lunch and I had Gipp laying next to my chair and I told
him to stay while Rick and I went up to get our food. Gipp could still see
me from where he was and he never once moved. What a good boy he was.

After lunch was over I took Gipp out of harness to allow everyone to meet
Gipp. Gipp was so good while everyone got to meet him. He was so laid back
and calm while he was being petted and he wagged his tail for some people
and for others he didn't.

Today's meeting was held at the Parta bus company and before everyone left
we were given a tour of the facilities. While we were taken the tour I had
Gipp wearing his gentle Leader.

Representatives from three of the companies want to meet with me to talk
some more about my travels and any other suggestions I might have. They're
also going to work with me on transferring from one company to another on
their buses as well as tell me about the places to visit in the areas they
serve. Each company services a different area in different counties. Their
idea is to present me as a "poster child" showing how easy it is to travel
throughout Northeast Ohio using public transportation.

Everyone just loved Gipp and complimented on how well Gipp was. I was so
proud of him. Take care.

Lori and the Gipper