[nagdu] How Guide Dogs Help

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 01:23:17 UTC 2012

Melissa,

I haven't run into that situation just yet, however, I would use my cane,
because without it, I would fall off the nearest curb and plow face first
into the nearest obstacle. Just kidding, I probably could get to my class in
one peace without a cane or dog, but I have no wish to prove this point. It
would be exceedingly dangerous.

I have just been placed with a dog from Fidelco 3 weeks ago. Before getting
a dog, I used a cane all the time. I have some vision, and my vision is
stable. My visual acuity is about 20/1000. This is not enough to
successfully travel without a cane or dog.

Before I got my dog, I received some excellent training in orientation and
mobility as well as other blindness skills at a NFB training center in
Minneapolis Minnesota. The center is called BLIND Inc. I highly recommend
you look into receiving some training there. It will greatly enhance your
travel, as well as giving you the skills so that you will not have to depend
on your vision. This is useful so that both you won't strain your vision so
that it works when you want to use it, as well as giving you the skills to
be prepared if your vision for some reason decreased.

 Mark