[nagdu] How Guide Dogs Help

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 02:39:50 UTC 2012

Hi Melissa.

I have some usable vision.  I used to run around my high school
without my cane or dog all the time.  I stuck my cane in my locker
during lunch and just walked without anything.  I did fairly well.  Of
course, if the environment is dark, or it is a place I don't know very
well with lots of stairs, I would not do this.  But I really hated my
cane as a teenager!

All that to say, I got a guide dog, despite my usable vision.  The
school only needed to see that I could use my dog rather than my
vision.  I was willing to do this, and although my vision is useful
for doing things like seeing whether or not my dog is in to something
she shouldn't, I do not depend on it as much.  I attended Guiding Eyes
for the Blind, and they were able to work with me.  Never once did
they object to my vision.

I've heard rumors about some schools objecting because people have
vision, but I don't know if they're true, so I'll let someone else
talk about that.  Honestly, it's all about trusting the dog rather
than your vision.

As for dogs having different strengths and weeknesses, it goes the
same for environments the dogs work in.  My dog does well in crowded
envirnoments with lots of chaos.  I haven't decided if this is because
she spent a year of her life guiding in a high school or because she's
my dog, but in any case, the trainers did a good job of anticipating
what kind of dog I would need.  They take these things into account
when you get a dog--your life style and the kinds of places you
frequent.

Hope this helps answer some questions.