[nagdu] Guide Dog Adjustment

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jan 29 13:41:53 UTC 2012

I think it depends more on the personalities of the individual dogs more
than whether or not they are a guide dog. When I brought Belle home Tia
was fine with her.  They'd play gentle games together and when Tia had
enough she'd make that clear.

When I brought home Monty Belle was very excited.  They played insanely
for the first few days.  For about the next year they played nicely and
appropriately with toys together.  Now they don't play so much
together.  Monty prefers the company of humans and Belle prefers to be
left alone.

I'm guessing when I'm ready for another dog that Monty will get along
well with him or her.  Monty is very easy going with new dogs.  I'm also
going to guess that if that new dog is a guide and I leave Monty and
take the new dog that Monty will be upset.  That's just the way he is.
Neither Tia or Belle cared a whole lot when the new, younger guide got
to go with me all the time.  That is their personalities.

Julie