[nagdu] Introduction and Questions

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 18:24:13 UTC 2012

Melissa,

Hey, welcome. I'm really enjoying your questions and all the answers and
discussions. Since I'm running behind, everyone else has gotten to what
I would add, so I can just read and enjoy. /smile/

I'm Tami (Tammy, in case you're using JAWS), and I live in Oregon, where
I am working my 5.5 year old owner-trained poodle guide Mitzi.

She is quite a character, and a very wonderful one. If you like that
sort of thing in a guide. I have worked a lot with Arabian horses, so I
am used to a life of excitement and weirdness because it is always fun.
/lol/ My poodle guide definitely provides my travels with that same
flavor. /lol/ As she has settled into her prime guiding years, she's not
so consistently wildly exciting, which is nice. But she is very alert
and very much a thinking guide, which is great for me because I can just
go along daydreaming. The flip side is that she's more excitable than
people are used to in a guide dog, more interactive and busy-seeming.
Very fast, also. She likes to get out and go and just zip and whip
around obstacles high and low, while I dance the dance with her... It's
a great way of moving, but tends to blow the stereotypes all to pieces.
So then if people manage to catch up with us, they will comment upon
their concerns at some length. /lol/ Poodle and doodle guides are lately
a more familiar sight about. So I am hoping that the sight of some blind
person flying down the street with a dog in harness that everyone knows
is not a guide dog because they only use lab and shepherds for that will
not create such a stir. /lol/

Well, here, so near the Boring campus of Guide Dogs for the Blind,
everybody knows they only use labs for that and quite a few other
things, as well. I'm not sure whether or not GDB knows any of it, but
everybody else most surely does know! /lol/

So I do get to hear many interesting things about "real" guide dogs that
They use for that and so on. Often in the form of helpful commentary on
how my poodle guide does not measure up. Took some getting used to, but
now I just think it's funny. Being around poodles seems to have the
effect of encouraging the poodle's human to think everything is
incredibly funny. /grin/

Tami