[nagdu] Introduction and Questions

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 01:55:32 UTC 2012

Robert,

I think that any blind person who wishes to improve their skills,
options and to better themselves should be given that opportunity.  By
blind person, I mean any individual whose vision is so impaired that it
requires use of alternative techniques of daily living.

There are loads of blind people that are told they have enough vision to
read standard print.  It doesn't seem to matter if they can only read
that standard print in certain light sources, or in certain color
combination, at the rate of 10 words per minute or for only 10 minutes
at a time.  They are encouraged to use their vision at the expense of
all else.  It doesn't seem to matter that Braille would be faster, less
stressful and doesn't cause headaches.

The same goes for orientation and mobility.  Lots of blind people are
coached to only use a cane in certain situations or not at all, relying
on their vision.  It doesn't seem to be a problem if these same
individuals can't go out after dark because of their particular visual
condition.  Or perhaps they have to stop in the doorway of the movie
theater for a few minutes so their eyes can adjust.  The people behind
them won't mind, I'm sure.  It won't be stressful or embarrassing to be
trying to follow someone and miss stepping over a curb because all their
available vision was being used in the other task.    I'm sure it's
perfectly acceptable to be continually scanning the environment for
obstacles, nervous that you will miss something.

I used to be one of these people.  Most of my remaining vision is gone
now, but I very clearly remember the days when accepting an invitation
to a friend's home, out to dinner or a movie was contingent on a long
list of things...what time of the day would it be when the movie is
over, are there steps, have I been there before, do I already know
what's on the menu and on and on.   My life dramatically improved when I
got my first cane and learned Braille as an adult.  Suddenly I didn't
have to have an anxiety induced meltdown when I needed to take a night
class at college.   I could go to restaurants that I hadn't been to
before.  I could actually read the notes I had taken in class.

I also believe that both a long white cane and a guide dog are equally
respectable mobility options.  Both offer blind people the ability to
move about their environment safely and conveniently.  Both have
advantages and disadvantages.  I don't believe that one is better than
the other.  Of course individuals have their preferences, but to say
that chocolate is better and everyone must give up strawberry is pretty
judgmental and I think should be avoided.

Why then would we want to take away an opportunity for some blind
people?  It seems that the answer to this question can only be answered
in one way.  We must view people with less vision as less capable and
the guide dog as a superior mobility tool, making it the preferred
method of mobility for the lower functioning among us.

I don't think vision has anything to do with the potential of an
individual.  I think attitude and knowledge are the factors that
determine success in this world.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this issue, level of vision and
using a guide dog.

Julie