[nagdu] Finding Certain Things

Natalie nrorrell at qwest.net
Tue Jan 31 22:23:24 UTC 2012

Hi Hannah,
I hope you and Princess are getting settled in by now and things are going
smoothly.  It is possible to teach your dog to find different things such as
doors, trash cans, seats/tables, etc.  You may have to practice a few times,
but they will get it.  Some dogs take a little longer than others, but show
them what you want, give lots of praise when it happens, and they'll learn.
Word association helps a lot.  For example, when Liam thinks I want to go
inside Walgreen's but we're instead going to our taize service, since we've
been to both places numerous times, I can just say, "No, boy, we're not
going to Walgreens today.  We're going to taize."  Then I praise him and say
thank you to him because he remembers and is so eager to please.  Hope that
helps.
Best,
Nat and Liam Joshua