[nagdu] New job, Cagney can't be with me

NCBootman ncbootman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:34:40 UTC 2012

Debbie,

No. You are not a bad person to take this job and not have your guide with
you. While it is probably not what you ideally want and perhaps not an ideal
situation for your dog, little in life is ideal. People keep writing that
this undermines the NFB's efforts, is an unfair situation, needs
accommodation, unreasonable employer, ... These are unfounded statements.
Many employers have situations where an individual cannot leave the
workspace. Your potential employer has provided for your needs by providing
a bathroom which allows you to still deal with emergencies by having a phone
right there. He has provided facility for food storage and a tv for your
downtime acknowledging that you will not be working a constant shift. His
only requirement has been you can't leave. This may have to do with why the
pay is so good. There is no discrimination here because you are not being
treated any different from any other employee in this situation. My own
brother worked for Cracker Barrel as an overnight cook. He is sighted. It
was understood that he would be locked inside the building and could not
leave at all. In case of emergency, he could open doors and escape but doing
so called the police, alarm company, and set off a chain of events not to be
dealt with if avoidable. He did not view this as bad. In fact, he felt safer
because if anyone got into the building, they would have to break in thus
getting him help. Many other businesses do this type of practice. Yours is
just at a slightly different time of day.

Do what is right for your family and not what others believe is right. Will
it mean you have to work harder? Yes. Because, in the mornings, you have to
work your dog, take care of its needs, and be a good handler. Can you do it?
Sure. And, it's gonna take help from your husband. But, it sounds like he is
already onboard with the idea. Will you work this job for the rest of your
life? Probably not. Few jobs nowadays are lifelong jobs. But, you may love
it and want to and it may be the best move you could ever make for your
family. You know the true answer already. You just want confirmation. Do
what you believe to be right.

Greg