[nagdu] New job, Cagney can't be with me

NCBootman ncbootman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:02:13 UTC 2012

Many jobs do not guarantee specific breaks at specific times. I worked in a
Customer Service role for a while. If I got a complicated call, my break has
been shifted by an hour. Retail people may not go to break at the same time
every day. If the store is suddenly full of people, you don't say it's my
break time. Firemen and police don't get a break at break time. If they are
in a chase, they keep working. Nurses don't stop working on a patient
because it is break time. They keep working and get their break when they
can. And, sometimes, the shift is such that they all have a lot of down time
so some would say did not earn their wages. The law does say that for
specific amounts of work you are entitled to specific amounts of break. In
Debbie's case, that is the only thing not clear. If there's a fire, a code
blue or red, her break will have to wait. She knows this going in. If she
starts complaining to all the boards in the government, she will be labeled
as an unhappy employee and a problem maker. She either won't be hired or she
will find herself without a job. Is this right? No. Is it reality? Yes.
This is completely leaving blindness out of the picture.
Greg