[nagdu] Biological Family Support for Service Animals

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jun 14 22:17:11 UTC 2012

Greg,

I'm still catching up since being out of town.  Sorry if you've already
gotten more info than you know what to do with! *smile*  Here's my
contribution.

It honestly didn't occur to me to discuss my using a guide dog or doing
the training myself with anyone in my family, excepting the people I
live with.  When I started using a cane many years ago this is the same
approach I took then.  I simply incorporated the cane and then the dog
into life as it seemed relevant, logical or natural.  I never made a big
deal out of it.  To this day I honestly have no idea what some of my
family members think of my blindness or my dogs.  It doesn't keep me up
at night wondering.  I feel like it's my decision and really doesn't
concern them.  That's just me though and how I usually do things.  I
don't ask their advice on purchasing a home, getting married, or where
to go on vacation.   It's not that I don't care what they think, it's
more that I'm just comfortable making those decisions on my own and
don't feel that their input would be helpful.  I'm not explaining well,
but I hope it's a bit understandable.

All the best in getting it all sorted out,
Julie