[nagdu] New job, Cagney can't be with me

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jun 15 01:42:35 UTC 2012

I agree with others that it seems questionable that you are not being
given breaks or a lunch.  I'm pretty sure that your employer cannot
require you to be on call during your longer lunch break.

I haven't seen anyone  comment on the fact that it is unacceptable for
your employer to deny you the use of your guide based on their
perceptions of the availability of care that will be available for your
dog.  Eight hours is a long time to go in between relief breaks, but I
think there are other options.  You could hire a dog walker to come
halfway through your shift, if the employer is legally able to deny you
the ability to leave your work station.  Or you could work out a feeding
and relieving schedule that allowed for the longer shift.  Or perhaps
calls could be routed to a cell phone during the times you need to step
out of your work area, allowing you to take care of your guide and still
answer calls.

I think there are other solutions than the first response of no dog.  It
makes me wonder if there is some other underlying issue.

I hope the new job works out for you.
Julie