[nagdu] Your turn: Please keep your dogs under control

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 10:37:54 UTC 2012

Your turn: Please keep your dogs under control

11:01 AM, Jun 18, 2012   |

Filed Under Opinions

http://www.jconline.com/article/20120617/OPINION02/306170035/Your-turn-Pleas
e-keep-your-dogs-under-control?odyssey=nav%7Chead&nclick_check=1

Wednesday marked the second time in six months that my guide dog was
attacked by a neighborhood dog who was not in the control of his owner and
who saw my mellow yellow lab as an easy target. While no physical injury
occurred during either of these attacks, I and my guide dog were both
rattled severely and reminded of how many assistance dogs have to be retired
following dog attacks. Most of these retirements are not due to physical
injury. Most happen because the working dog either becomes fearful of other
dogs or instead aggressive toward other dogs: "If he's going to get me, then
I'm going to get him first." Since it takes around $50,000 to train and
support a guide dog, the implications of such attacks are enormous. For me,
though, the dollar signs mean less than the emotional impact of a
partnership potentially ending because the dog's stability and confidence
are compromised.

I plead with the public to be cautious with the control of your dogs, no
matter if a working dog is in your vicinity or not. Dogs should be leashed,
fenced, or otherwise in your control. It should not be a coin toss about
whether a simple walk with our best buds will result in an encounter with a
loose dog or not, one whose behavior may be unpredictable and potentially
detrimental to another canine.

I will pick up the harness handle today and deliberately take a lengthy walk
with my guide dog, partly because I want to and partly because I must. If I
don't, the lingering ghosts of this latest attack might get a firmer hold in
either of our minds than already is the case. If dog owners all step up a
little more, perhaps such ghosts will not have a chance to materialize at
all in the future.

Kathy Nimmer

West Lafayette

View Comments (1)  |  Share your thoughts >

TOP VIDEO PICKS

Double fatal crash near Wildcat CreekJun 9, 2012

Teal Road AccidentApr 12, 2012

Battle Ground CrashJun 7, 2012

selected by Taboola

YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN

Former Olympic gymnast drops 'bombshell' (Journal and Courier)

Paterno family releases will of former Penn State coach (Journal and
Courier)

Verizon Wireless overhauls service plans with new options (Journal and
Courier)

Report: Russia to send marines to Syria (Journal and Courier)

2 Alaska troopers shot, gunman found dead (Journal and Courier)

Islamist claims victory in Egypt presidential vote (Journal and Courier)

Top 9 Most Embarrassing Things My Kid Has Said About a Stranger Who's
Standing About Four Inches Away From Us (NickMom)

10 Worst Cars of All Time (TheStreet)

Heidi Klum and Seal's Unusual Marriage, Revealed (StyleBistro)

Girl Tackles Drew Carey Then Humps Neil Patrick Harris on Price is Right
(College Humor)

Dwyane Wade and the 10 Dirtiest NBA Players Ever (Bleacher Report)

Dog From Harry Potter Movies Found at Shelter, Needs a New Home (Petside)

[?]

Most Popular

Most Commented

More Headlines

1

Lafayette dentist's license removal slow, painful

2

Supreme Court's inaction frees Lafayette man from prison

3

New Purdue president to be named Thursday, former president says

4

Indiana State Police arrest Putnam County man in molestation case

5

2 arrested as police investigate 3 armed robberies and 1 failed attempt

Most Viewed

Double fatal crash near Wildcat CreekJun. 09, 2012

Photo Galleries

This week from our archives

Taste of Tippecanoe

Archives

View the last seven days

Yesterday, Jun. 18

Sunday, Jun. 17

Saturday, Jun. 16

Friday, Jun. 15

Thursday, Jun. 14

Wednesday, Jun. 13

Tuesday, Jun. 12

See our paid archives for news older than a week.

Customer Service

Subscribe Today!

Manage account

Delivery problem

Pay your bill

Site Map

Place an ad

Letter to the Editor

Submit Announcements

Customer Service

Work for us

Can't find what you're looking for? Visit our Help page for more
information, or call our customer service line toll free at
800-456-3223      .

Subscribe!

sign up for home delivery

Reader Forums

How about those Lady Knights!!!!

5 replies | Posted by jefftoCC in Preps Vollyball

See all Forums

Archives

View the last seven days

Yesterday, Jun. 18

Sunday, Jun. 17

Saturday, Jun. 16

Friday, Jun. 15

Thursday, Jun. 14

Wednesday, Jun. 13

Tuesday, Jun. 12

See our paid archives for news older than a week.

Buy and Sell

JOBS

CARS

APARTMENTS

HOMES

Find a job

Post resume

Find an employee

Star Career Fair

Real Deals

Flip, shop and save on specials from your favorite retailers in Lafayette

GET DEALS NOW

READ MORE

-->

4INFO Text Alerts

Get local news texted to your cell phone! Major news stories, sports scores,
stock quotes, and more are all sent live as the action happens.

Enjoy a limited number of free articles over the next 30 days.

Subscribe today for full access

Current subscriber? Activate your account

Site Map  |  Back to Top

NEWS

Purdue

Blogs & Columns

State News

Nation & World

Crime & Courts

Politics & Gov

Business

Education

Health

Lifestyles

DATA

Police Blotter

Community Info

Community Meetings

School Info

All Databases

PURDUE

Campus News

Science & Technology

Sports

Football

Mens Basketball

Womens Basketball

Salaries

Blogs & Columns

MULTIMEDIA

Photo Galleries

Videos

RSS Feeds

Online Publications

Databases

Text Alerts

Social Media

SPORTS

High School

Purdue

Purdue Mens Basketball

Purdue Womens Basketball

Purdue Football

NFL

Blogs & Columns

OPINIONS

Editorials

Letters to the Editor

Rapid Response

Guest Columnists

Sattler Cartoons

My Life, My Story

To Our Readers

Blogs & Columns

Send a letter to the editor

OBITUARIES

Today's Obituaries

Past 3 days

Submit an Obituary

ENTERTAINMENT

TGIF

Events Calendar

Dining Guide

Movies

Music

Puzzles

TV Listings

Game Dork

View From Here

Tim Brouk

HELP

Contact Us

Subscriber Services

Photo Services

Staff Directory

Archives

Advertiser Info

Site Index

FOLLOW US

Twitter

Facebook

Mobile

RSS

E-mail Alerts

Text Alerts

Subscribe

News

Jobs

Cars for Sale

Homes for Sale

Apartments for Rent

Real Estate

Shopping

Copyright C 2012 www.jconline.com. All rights reserved.

Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your
California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices