[nagdu] Stepmother's Wisecracks

NCBootman ncbootman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:22:44 UTC 2012

Have you tried playing the game? Maybe she knows it bothers you or maybe she
is bothered and doesn't know how to verbalize her own feelings. Keep it
light and positive and be the most comfortable person in the world. Be
sincere and bend down and ask Izzy what she just said. Of course, you get to
tell stepmother what Izzy said! Maybe something like Why do people wear
clothes? Then follow up with her harness makes her feel normal with all the
clothed people. Otherwise, she'd feel all naked and that would be just
wrong! Act as if nothing happened out of the ordinary. I bet her jaw will
hit the floor. In your restaurant, Izzy might be thinking that it sure is
nice to be a guide dog because look at this whole room full of people
rubbing their tummy in misery and loking like they've just eaten half a cow.
Sure will be nice to just go home and have her proper sized portion of
ladylike food. I am pretty sure it won't take many such statements till this
woman will be afraid to talk to Izzy cause dogs don't have the filters of
appropriateness we humans use and she might politely be embarrassed. Do this
calmly in the normal flow of things so it is very natural. Have some fun.
People often think they have to act a certain way at church and in groups.
We can educate in anice way that they don't realize what we just said till
later. This woman won't feel very comfortable when she realizes she just ate
a half a fried chicken or a double decker hot fudge cake. If you are
confronted, you can say Izzy is talking to me too. Look at what I ate. She
teaches me things all the time. Practice, practice, practice so this will be
perfectly natural. Can I come to church with you and watch? I'll even buy
your lunch lol.

Have a friend somewhere watching your back cause you need to know her
response and if anybody runs from the dining room or has a coughing fit in
the elevator or starts bawling, it's cause they are dying to laugh and
trying not to.

Greg