[nagdu] black top and other surfaces

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 02:56:26 UTC 2012

Hi, Lyn and all,
When I attended my first ACB/GDUI national convention in Las Vegas, Nevada seven years ago, we were made aware of the black top around the Riviera Hotel.
When it came to taking him out for park time, it was dificult as his paws quickly burned fast.
Trouble I had was he'd pull hard in harness and move to fast for me to keep up or where I felt the frustration level building up.
I couldn't tell if his paws were burning from the ground or what because he didn't make a sound or cry.
The next time around when we had to venture out, he actually did whine and cry, indicating that his paws were burning.
I had someone from GDB look at his paws for me and thankfully, they weren't severely burnt.
The following day, his feet were sore, so we tried to stay inside the hotel for the most part.
We were able to find the other relief area again where there wasn't any son.
It had a tarp covering over it and Odie was much happier.
Here in downtown
Denver, the 16th Street Mall mainly has concreete and marvel like material.
One time when Odie and I were there, his paws began to burn and he cried.
Aspault is another surface Odie despises.
We eventually went to using shoes which did help a lot.
It just took time to find the right ones that he would be comfortable with.
I still have to admit that Odie has the "I'm tough" pit bull attitude though even when he was a pup.
He has become more sensitive to the cold when the temps are below the teens.
The ground will really bother his feet then.
I did find another pair of shoes called Polartechers that have a tennis shoe like sole on the bottom.
I'll probably look into purchasing them from Dog Savvy in Sepbemr along with a pair of socks for dogs.
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf