[nagdu] Article about the woman kicked out of Ann Taylor

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:42:09 UTC 2012

Here is a story relating the incident we have been talking about.  I
did a simple google search and found many stories about it.  This is
taken from the consumerist, which is some kind of news website.  It
quotes her blog though, so it looks trust worthy enough.  See below:

Hey, retailers — it's 2012, and if you don't know that a service dog
is a completely acceptable animal to be accompanying a customer in a
store according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, you really
need to update your employees. And yes, we mean you, Ann Taylor.

Consumerist reader Natalie's mom, Becky, has a condition called
Retinitis Pigmentosa. She sees about 5% of what is normal so she uses
a guide dog, and as such, is dependent on her service dog, Cricket, to
get around, especially when she's on her own. She loves shopping at
Ann Taylor, but had an unfortunate experience with an employee who
told her she wasn't allowed to be in the store with her dog.

Natalie directed us to Becky's blog, "Cruisin' with Cricket," where
she detailed her recent upsetting experience at a newly-opened Ann
Taylor store at her local mall. Her husband, Steve, had dropped her
off and was finishing a conference call on his phone in the car.

“
Cricket and I navigated into the store. I was so excited.
Unfortunately, I was greeted by a clerk with her first words
indicating I needed to leave the store with my dog. I politely
explained that she was a guide dog and allowed to be here. She
indicated again dogs were not allowed and she would need to talk to
her store manager. I began to feel like my exciting find of the Ann
Taylor store was not going so well. Unfortunately, the manager also
was not too helpful and indicated that dogs were not allowed.
 I knew there were other people there as well, and I felt really
alone. No one stood up and said, this is a guide dog she can be in
this store. I again explained she was a guide dog and allowed to be
here. At this point, I found myself just wanting to leave and go to
another store where I was welcome. I turned and said, Cricket outside.
It's not been the easiest of past few weeks and I couldn't do anymore.

I walked out feeling pretty sad. One of the clerks came out after me
and said she was sorry, she liked dogs. I explained that it isn't
about whether one likes or doesn't like dogs. Cricket is my guide dog
and thanks to the Americans with Disabilities Act she is allowed to
enter Ann Taylor and any other public place that we want to go. She is
my eyes.

”

Becky met up with her husband, who returned to the store to explain
the situation and that "they had also kicked out a very loyal,
frequent shopper who had a closet full of their clothes." Becky ended
up finding what she needed at another store, where her guide dog was
accepted without a problem.

Natalie tells us Ann Taylor called later to apologize, but the damage
was done. Becky said she was pretty shaken by the turn of events, but
she's maintaining a positive outlook on her ordeal. She adds that
she's happy to educate anyone she comes across about the roles of
guide dogs, and even to show identification if it's necessary. But, as
she notes, and we wholeheartedly agree, being told to leave a store in
2012 because someone doesn't realize what a guide dog is, is pretty
upsetting.

She finishes her tale on an optimistic note:

“
I would love to turn this difficult experience into an opportunity to
educate those at Ann Taylor so this experience doesn't happen for
anyone else. In the end, I have had many more positive experiences at
Ann Taylor than this discrimatory one. However, I hope they will use
this experience to educate their employees of the role of service
animals. They are not only welcome in their store but by law required
to be allowed in their store. If you have experienced this type of
situation, you understand indeed what a traumatizing experience it is
— and this time to be alone was even more challenging.
”

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, National Federation of the Blind

life."
John 3:16