[nagdu] --Here's the article--[Lady with Guide Dog kicked out of Ann Taylor]

J. Hartwell scottishdreamer at bresnan.net
Sat Jun 23 04:29:10 UTC 2012

The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back

  Jun 22, 2012 | 21 posts in the last 24 hours

LoginRegister

Share on digg Share on twitterShare on reddit Share on stumbleupon Share on
fark Share on email

Short URL: http://con.st/10030335

unacceptable

Ann Taylor Tells Blind Woman Her Guide Dog Isn't Allowed In The Store

By Mary Beth Quirk on June 19, 2012 2:00 PM

(yoshiffles)

Hey, retailers — it's 2012, and if you don't know that a service dog is a
completely acceptable animal to be accompanying a customer in a store
according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, you really need to update
your employees. And yes, we mean you, Ann Taylor.

Consumerist reader Natalie's mom, Becky, has a condition called Retinitis
Pigmentosa. She sees about 5% of what is normal so she uses a guide dog, and
as such, is dependent on her service dog, Cricket, to get around, especially
when she's on her own. She loves shopping at Ann Taylor, but had an
unfortunate experience with an employee who told her she wasn't allowed to be
in the store with her dog.

Natalie directed us to Becky's blog, "Cruisin' with Cricket," where she
detailed her recent upsetting experience at a newly-opened Ann Taylor store at
her local mall. Her husband, Steve, had dropped her off and was finishing a
conference call on his phone in the car.

“
Cricket and I navigated into the store. I was so excited. Unfortunately, I was
greeted by a clerk with her first words indicating I needed to leave the store
with my dog. I politely explained that she was a guide dog and allowed to be
here. She indicated again dogs were not allowed and she would need to talk to
her store manager. I began to feel like my exciting find of the Ann Taylor
store was not going so well. Unfortunately, the manager also was not too
helpful and indicated that dogs were not allowed.
  I knew there were other people there as well, and I felt really alone. No
one stood up and said, this is a guide dog she can be in this store. I again
explained she was a guide dog and allowed to be here. At this point, I found
myself just wanting to leave and go to another store where I was welcome. I
turned and said, Cricket outside. It's not been the easiest of past few weeks
and I couldn't do anymore.

I walked out feeling pretty sad. One of the clerks came out after me and said
she was sorry, she liked dogs. I explained that it isn't about whether one
likes or doesn't like dogs. Cricket is my guide dog and thanks to the
Americans with Disabilities Act she is allowed to enter Ann Taylor and any
other public place that we want to go. She is my eyes.

”

Becky met up with her husband, who returned to the store to explain the
situation and that "they had also kicked out a very loyal, frequent shopper
who had a closet full of their clothes." Becky ended up finding what she
needed at another store, where her guide dog was accepted without a problem.

Natalie tells us Ann Taylor called later to apologize, but the damage was
done. Becky said she was pretty shaken by the turn of events, but she's
maintaining a positive outlook on her ordeal. She adds that she's happy to
educate anyone she comes across about the roles of guide dogs, and even to
show identification if it's necessary. But, as she notes, and we
wholeheartedly agree, being told to leave a store in 2012 because someone
doesn't realize what a guide dog is, is pretty upsetting.

She finishes her tale on an optimistic note:

“
I would love to turn this difficult experience into an opportunity to educate
those at Ann Taylor so this experience doesn't happen for anyone else. In the
end, I have had many more positive experiences at Ann Taylor than this
discrimatory one. However, I hope they will use this experience to educate
their employees of the role of service animals. They are not only welcome in
their store but by law required to be allowed in their store. If you have
experienced this type of situation, you understand indeed what a traumatizing
experience it is — and this time to be alone was even more challenging.
”

Disappointed in Ann Taylor [Cruisin' With Cricket ~ The Journeys Of Becky And
Her Guide Dog, Cricket]

More About:
unacceptable,
  ann taylor

128 Comments

Prev: Dear Target Employees: Lying Is Not A Valid Extended Warranty Sales
Tactic
Next: Should Snapple Sorbet Bars Disclose They Contain Absolutely No Fruit?

Post a comment

Sign in to comment.

Comments:

128

Expand All

1 - 50
Newer Comments >>

Sarek

June 19, 2012 2:08 PM

How ignorant are these people, especially the store manager, who should have
learned this in his training? Guide dogs, when wearing their harnesses, have
been permitted in stores for *decades*, way before ADA. Geez, I knew this as a
little kid.

It might have been interesting (though traumatic) if the woman had said to the
manager, "ok, call the police."

chefboyardee

June 19, 2012 2:11 PM

"She adds that she's happy to educate anyone she comes across about the roles
of guide dogs, and even to show identification if it's necessary"

So instead of leaving all upset, why not stand your ground and do that? Not
blaming the OP here, I completely sympathize with what she's feeling. However,
while she may be shaken, and not want to shop there anymore that day, she'd be
doing a major service for the next people in her situation if she would do
what she says she doesn't mind doing, and staying to educate them on their
mistake instead of just leaving. I know she went back with the husband later,
but that had significantly less impact than staying and raising a stink would
have.

I know a lot of commenters will disagree with the "raise a stink" idea, and
that's fine. Some people aren't comfortable with that, and I can appreciate
that. But personally, I would have made them play their hand. I'm not allowed
in here with my dog? Gotcha. Then we'll stay and continue to shop until you
call the cops on us. Make a huge deal out of it. Let the other customers see
what kind of morons work there. Teach them a lesson. Seriously. It's 2012,
there's no excuse for ignorance (on the part of the Ann Taylor
employees/manager) in situations like this.

Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations

June 19, 2012 2:11 PM

I want to hear about a person in this situation who just ignores the calls for
their departure and continues shopping.

So an employee says you can't be there, cites why, and you know full well they
are incorrect, why do you leave?

If an employee said you can't be there because you are black, would you just
leave? Or maybe you might say you're ignorant of the law and continue
shopping.

Bog

June 19, 2012 2:14 PM

Simple - Refuse to leave and continiue to shop. Make them call the cops, or
call the cops yourself. The police WILL usually give the store an education.
Been there and done with that with a person I was with who had a guide dog.
Store clerk squeaked like a chewtoy when the Sheriff's depuity told she
personally could get a few thousand dollar fine as well as the store.

huey9k

June 19, 2012 2:14 PM

Yeah, I got your lesson right here, Ann Taylor... it involves a Judge, a
gavel, and a $20 million judgement.

Oh, and firing the stupid twats (yeah, I said it) who kicked protected service
animal out of a store.

Darury

June 19, 2012 2:14 PM

"Becky said she was pretty shaken by the turn of events" ---

While I appreciate it would suck, how sheltered of life do you lead that a
sales clerk turning you away is enough to shake you up? Did they threaten to
have your dog killed and you arrested if you didn't leave immediately? The
overly-dramatic impact of being inconvienced never ceases to amaze me.

And yes, while it was an issue that shouldn't have happened, it was not a
life-altering moment since she found the clothes at another store.

Costner

June 19, 2012 2:15 PM

" would love to turn this difficult experience into an opportunity to educate
those at Ann Taylor so this experience doesn't happen for anyone else. In the
end, I have had many more positive experiences at Ann Taylor than this
discrimatory one. "

What a refreshing and positive attitude. I'm so happy to see her react in that
manner rather than immediately saying she was hiring an attorney with plans to
sue. Not only would an opportunity to educate these employees on ADA
compliance and service animals help her during future visits, but it can help
anyone else who visits that store with a service animal as well (and even
other stores if these employees go elsewhere in the future).

Bravo Becky. Bravo.

mikedt

June 19, 2012 2:17 PM

By no means was the store's actions acceptable, but to be "pretty shaken by
the turn of events" seems to be a little over reacting. Don't people just get
mad any more? Do you really need to have long term emotional problems because
you had to deal with an idiot? I can't believe this is the first time she's
run into this, nor will it be the last. Either stand you're ground and make
the idiots feel like bigger idiots or get over it and go on your way.

Does everything we do now need to be groundwork for a potential lawsuit?

sirwired

June 19, 2012 2:18 PM

I could understand confusion of the continually-evolving rules on emotional
support animals, seizure alert animals, etc.

But seriously? A problem with a guide dog for the blind? These, and the rules
around them, aren't exactly new.

KrispyKrink

June 19, 2012 2:21 PM

It's obvious the employees at that store knew exactly what they were doing.
Flagrantly violating federal law simply for personal reasons. Unfortunately no
amount of talk or education will change people like this, they will continue
making up rules based on personal feelings of "I don't like X, so I can do X
no matter what".

The only way to enact proper change with people like that is a court of law
resulting in heavy fines and or jail. Or a baseball bat to the face. Given
that the latter is socially unacceptable and maybe unlawful, go with the first
option.

sparc

June 19, 2012 2:21 PM

sadly, this isn't shocking to me at all. Just look at the article below this
where Apple Stores aren't selling to people born in Iran.

Some people are just plain stupid....

SkokieGuy

June 19, 2012 2:25 PM

How hard would it be to establish a national criteria and ID card. Could be
issued be veterinarians and services that provide guide animals.

In order to take advantage of special parking, you are required to obtain a
permit, doing the same for service animals would save the users of these
animals headaches and unreasonable denial of services.

It might also reduce the (how big of a problem is it?) people who arbitrarily
claim their animal is providing assistance when there is not a need.

Rocket80

June 19, 2012 2:28 PM

This is right where you pull out your iphone, hit record and ask "I'm sorry,
would you please say that again?" :)

ToddMU03

June 19, 2012 2:31 PM

Cricket needs to learn a new command.

"Cricket sic balls."

dush

June 19, 2012 2:36 PM

Guide dogs are awesome. Guide robots that don't shed or cause allergies would
be even better.

skloon

June 19, 2012 2:39 PM

I'd tell them that my dog stops me from having a homicidal psycotic break, but
I can come in without it, and develop some sort of twitch while telling them
this

JohnDeere

June 19, 2012 2:39 PM

what exactly are the punishments for companies violating the ada. they must
not be enough or it wouldnt happen.

Nighthawke

June 19, 2012 2:46 PM

And there's another store staff that's going to lose a week's worth of wages
due to retraining in ADA regs and sensitivity.

MAJOR cluster-*uck, this one.

Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America

June 19, 2012 3:19 PM

Classy.

1 - 50
Newer Comments >>

RSSTwitterFacebook

Related Posts

Woman Spends Night In Jail Over 10-Year-Old Traffic Ticket
Chris Morran
  June 19, 2012 3:15 PM

Ann Taylor Tells Blind Woman Her Guide Dog Isn't Allowed In The Store
Mary Beth Quirk
  June 19, 2012 2:00 PM

Southwest Doesn't Approve Of Your Cleavage-Baring Outfit, Young Lady
Mary Beth Quirk
  June 19, 2012 1:00 PM

Who Is Really Making Money When We Don't Buy The Music We Listen To?

Former Gold Buyers Say They Were Pushed To Lie To Customers

Creating A Burger Optimized For Photos, Not For Eating

Woman Accused Of Groping TSA Agent Claims Turnabout Is Fair Play

Ann Taylor Tells Blind Woman Her Guide Dog Isn't Allowed In The Store

The Voters Have Spoken: EA Is Your Worst Company In America For 2012! »

Worst Company In America Final Death Match: Bank Of America Vs. EA »

Let's All Do A Slow Clap For Your Worst Company In America 2012 Semifinalists!
»

The 8 Remaining Worst Company In America Contenders Sure Are An Elite Bunch! »

Please Join Us In Welcoming Your Worst Company In America 2012 Sweet 16! »

Who Is Really Making Money When We Don't Buy The Music We Listen To?
229 Comments

Would You Feel More Comfortable Exercising In A Gym That Bans Skinny People?
172 Comments

Massachusetts City Considers Ban On Large Sodas At Restaurants
169 Comments

Best Buy CEO-For-Now Promises Change, End To Showrooming
149 Comments

Ann Taylor Tells Blind Woman Her Guide Dog Isn't Allowed In The Store
127 Comments

Video

To Clarify: 911 Is Not A Sandwich Complaint Hotline

Anthem BCBS Decides Boy Who Can't Sit Up On His Own Doesn't Need A Wheelchair

Do Not Report Debit Card Holding Your Fraudulent $2 Million Tax Refund Stolen

It's Probably Best To Not Bring Your Mini Meth Lab Into Walmart With You

EEOC Investigating Coffee Chain For Alleged 'Hot Chicks Only' Hiring Policy

The Consumerist Team

Comments Moderator: EMAIL | AIM
Media Inquiries: EMAIL

Permissions: EMAIL

Consumer Reports

Poor vehicle visibility creates dangerous blind spots
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 is impressive iPod alternative
Tesla Model S electric sedan rated at 89 MPGe
Samsung pushes innovation with its 2012 appliance line
EPA issues final approval for sale of E15 ethanol fuel
Some new TVs get better sound, lighter, cheaper 3D glasses
Series 503 Flushmate lll pressure-assisted flushing system recalled due to
impact and laceration hazard
DirecTV's n3D channel goes part time, but will air Summer Olympics
11 money-saving fuel economy tips
Do you need a blender a food processor or both?

GPS Buying Advice

  Home Theater System Reviews

Camcorder Reviews

TV Buying Advice

Types of Blu-ray & DVD players

  Computer Buying Advice

Digital Camera Buying Advice

.

About/Contact UsPrivacy PolicyComments CodeNo Commercial Use User
AgreementMobile

© 2005-2010 Consumer Media LLC except where noted.

.