[nagdu] Pilot Dogs training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jun 24 00:07:51 UTC 2012

Bibi,

I didn't explain well.  when I said that it seems that Pilot trainers
are like private trainers working out of a single facility, I didn't
mean that they weren't qualified or inferior in any way.  what I meant
was that it seems that other programs have very, very specific levels or
tasks or whatever that a trainer teaches the dog.  These skills are set
out in a very systematic way with not much flexibility.  It seems that
at Pilot there is more variety in how the dogs are taught depending on
the particular trainer.  I hope that makes more sense.

In the end each dog is still learning the guide skills, but the getting
there and teaching the students to work with the dogs is much more
varied than at other schools.  For example at TSE there are very
specific routs done in a particular order during training.  Is that the
case at Pilot?  Does each student do the same basic routs?  There may be
more variety toward the end of training to make sure the student and dog
are good to go in very specific environments that aren't so common to
all individuals, but the core of training is very regimented.

I've also heard that at Pilot students come and go as someone finishes
and there is room for the next student, instead of having an entire
class start on the same day with retrains starting or ending at a
different but still single day.  Is this correct?

And I know Becky Floyd and keep up to date on how Gallant Hearts is
progressing.  They may be a source for a Boxer or Doberman by the time
I'm ready for my next dog, but I'd really like to wait until they are a
bit more established to see what graduates have to say.  Or I may owner
train again, I have no idea right now.

Julie