[nagdu] Swabbing for Explosive Trace Detection

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Wed Jun 27 13:56:50 UTC 2012

I'm with Michael here. I have flown several times in the past 6 weeks and
have only been swabbed twice. The rule about not touching our dogs is also
in inconsistently enforced but I always prepare in case I do get one of the
more "by the book" screeners.

Folks, this whole process is really not that different or horrific. I think
you get out of the screening what you expect, barring of course the agent
having a bad day or being overly officious. If you go in dreading and
worrying or being overly sensitive, you're likely to have an uncomfortable
experience. If you go in knowing the rules and acting as if you know them
and do this all the time, things generally go smoothly.

Probably the most amusing experience I had recently was when I was randomly
chosen for the hand scan. No big deal for me though I do realize it is for
some people. I look on it as a training opportunity for TSA staff.

So as I'm being scanned, my dog is on a loose leash at what I thought was a
nice standing Stay. Agents behind us are starting to laugh. What?

As the female agent is choking me over, my dog is actively sniffing her
over, part matching part. Apparently it was quite funny to watch. We all
ended up laughing in the end and of course if you laugh at something a dog
with even the tiniest bit of Golden Retriever in it does, then it's a new
fun trick! I love my dog. <grin>

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems