[nagdu] tie downs

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 00:43:16 UTC 2012

Hi, Cindy,
Back when Odie was yunger, he had a chewing problem during training despite being on leash and at times, on tie down.
Although he was worked a lot, he still would chew off and on.
I did eventually figure out what the problem was by speaking with a behavioralist from the Denver Dumb Friends League and the vet.
Whenever Odie would get stressed out, the chewing happened.
I'll admit that he did break a tie down one time, but it was because he wanted to play with my roommate's dog in the middle of the night.
It was a long time ago.
He also did break a tie down during training too which the trainer found rather weird and unusual.
During conventions of sorts, he did really well while on tie down in hotel rooms.
Since he's older, Odie has settled down lots, but there are just them days when he'll have a little extra spirt of energy.
The tie down did come in handy when accidents began to happen out of nowhere, so the method was to go back and start over from the beginning basics of training.
No, tie down wasn't used as a punishment, but to help Odie learn that he always needed to get my attention if he really needed something or having to go outtside for potty time.
Other than that, he does have free access in the apartment and thankfully, Odie has learned to be near Dale or I and not alone.
*Smiles*
Bibi