[nagdu] dog insurance?

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Mar 9 19:37:16 UTC 2012

Hello All interested:

I do have Pet insurance through Trupanion. I highly recommend giving them a look. I pay about $45 a month, and they give discounts to service dog owners. Trupanion will pay 90% of veterinary expenses that are not preventative--for example, they wouldn't cover teeth cleanings, but if Princess were to get some sort of infection or need a surgery (things which can quickly drain a bank account), it can be very useful. Bailey has had an ear infection and a skin infection since I got him. The vet visits ranged from $150-$300 each. Since infections usually require follow-up visits, it's usually not a onetime deal. Hopefully, you won't have a need of it, but it's a life saver when you need it. I am a big fan of "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Trupanion's rates never increase--I will be paying the rates for a two year old dog for the rest of Bailey's life. This is not true of many other companies. Also, Trupanion will pay 90% of the cost, no matter how expensive it gets. Other companies will only pay a flat rate and that's that. If you rarely take your dog to the vet, insurance can seem like throwing money down a drain, but when that unexpected crisis occurs, you would be glad to have it. I hope that I don't have to use them too often, but I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars without reimbursement. If you visit trupanion.com or give them a call, they can give you much more information (if you desire it).I promise I am not being paid to advertise; but I've done the research and they seem like they have the best deal as far as pet insurance is concerned. As I said previously, they won't cover things like grooming, baths, dental cleanings, checkups, or vaccinations, but they will cover everything that isn't preventative in nature (infections, ingestion of foreign material, trauma, illness, dental disease/extraction, cancer, etc.). I know it's another expense, but for me, it's better than suddenly having to blow $300 of hard-earned cash. I am a college student who needs as much money as I can get--thus, I'd rather spend $44.52 a month than spend $300 unexpectedly. Feel free to write if you want more information--I know people who have it and those who don't--just evaluate your situation and find out if it is worth it. I figured that because Bailey goes with me everywhere and is exposed to so much more than the average house pet, that his risks for contracting illness, work-related accidents, etc. were higher, thus I thought it prudent to enroll him in a pet insurance program.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University