[nagdu] Ownership of guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Mar 12 12:45:35 UTC 2012

Hi Hannah.
You say you think a lot of people abuse their guide dogs, or don't take
good care of them, or don't work them.  I disagree.  I think that by far
the majority of people take excellent care of their guide dogs.  I think
actual guide dog abuse is quite rare.
Now, whether or not a person works the dog "enough" is highly personal.
One person may think 3 miles a day is right, and another may just be going
down to the corner to buy milk, and maybe walk a few blocks.  Different
strokes for different folks. When I was a young handler, my friends and I
used to scoff at the little old ladies who mainly used their dogs to go to
the mailbox or go to church.  Now we're becoming those little old ladies,
and we stopped scoffing.
Tracy