[nagdu] Costco

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Mar 12 14:12:07 UTC 2012

I had remembered reading about Costco issues with service animals
several years ago.  I've done a bit of poking around on the internet to
refresh my memory and found the below:
There was a court case in 2004, /Susan Grill vs. Costco Warehouse
Corp./, Case No. C03-2450Z, which went pretty badly in court thanks to a
lawyer not familiar with ADA law.   the judge ruled that Costco could
ask individuals entering their stores  questions not included in the
DOJ's guidance on service animals.  This ruling in effect gave Costco
the ability to decide whether or not a service animal would be allowed
into their stores based on the perceptions of the questioning employee.
Or at least that is my understanding of the ruling.  I'm also given to
understand that this is only applicable to the judicial jurisdiction in
which this case took place, the pacific Northwest.  So stores in other
regions wouldn't be affected by this bad case law.

There is also Rebecca DILORENZO, Plaintiff, v. COSTCO WHOLESALE
CORPORATION, Defendant Court: United States District Court, W.D.
Washington from 2007.  I do not even know where to begin with this one.
It is very, very clear that if you feel that you have been discriminated
against and pursue legal action that you really, really, really need to
have a solid case, a good lawyer, a trained dog and have actually been
discriminated against.   To the best of my understanding this case
further gave Costco the ability to question patrons about the use of
their service animals and to decide if that use is worthy.

Anyway wanted to pass this along as food for thought.  I know Marion is
working diligently with Cheryl on a Costco issue that happened recently
and that he is aware of both of these cases.  I'm just pointing out that
sometimes store policies, access rights, the ADA and state laws overlap
and get tangled with each other so that what is actually legal and what
is not isn't clear to even the best of lawyers.

I will be very interested to see how the current Costco incident works out.

Julie