[nagdu] Ownership of guide dog

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Mar 13 01:03:55 UTC 2012

This is likely going to be an unpopular opinion, but there it is.

First, a harness does not confer any special privileges on a dog. A dog is a working guide, regardless of working gear, or it is not a working guide. If you've retired a dog, it isn't a working guide. Unless you pull the dog out of retirement and it resumes its service functions, harness or no harness, you don't have the right to be accompanied by it. Well, I suppose the law says that the dog must be "individually tai trained", so one could argue that the dog still has said training on it, thus it still qualifies as a working guide, even if it's retired. Point is, the harness doesn't confer any privilege on the dog.

When I've retired a dog, if I needed to take him somewhere, like the vet, or even if I wanted to take him somewhere, I went with pet rules. In general, this worked fine, and especially when people had already known us, there was no problem. Our local taxi company even said that taking my retired guide wouldn't be an issue with most drivers, but I'm lucky in that respect, as Erie is very small town that way. Still, it strikes me that trying to pass off your non-working dog as a guide just so you can take him out into public is stretching the intent of the law just a bit.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY