[nagdu] Licensing Your Dog

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 13 15:30:12 UTC 2012

Julie,
    The statement that "The ADA clearly states that no tax or fee can be
charged of a service dog" is not completely accurate. The ADA states

"Subject to the provisions of this title, no qualified individual with a
disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from
participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or
activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such
entity." (42 USC 12132)

The implementing regulations contained at 28 CFR Part 35.136 state

"
(a) General. Generally, a public entity shall modify its policies,
practices, or procedures to permit the use of a service animal by an
individual with a disability.

g) Access to areas of a public entity.Individuals with disabilities shall be
permitted to be accompanied by their service animals in all areas of a
public entity's facilities where members of the public, participants in
services, programs or activities, or invitees, as relevant, are allowed to
go.

(h) Surcharges. A public entity shall not ask or require an individual with
a disability to pay a surcharge, even if people accompanied by pets are
required to pay fees, or to comply with other requirements generally not
applicable to people without pets. If a public entity normally charges
individuals for the damage they cause, an individual with a disability may
be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal."

It seems to me that these regulations clearly govern access to the programs
and services of a public accommodation in which pets are not generally
allowed, allowing individuals with disabilities to be accompanied by their
service dog. Though a public entity may not levy a surcharge for the right
to be accompanied by a service dog, it does not preclude the levy of other
fees or taxes all other animal owners are required to pay, such as licensing
fees. Some jurisdictions, such as Hillsborough County where I live, waive
the fees altogether. It seems as if the policy of the jurisdiction posted by
Cindy is to offer a discount of the fee. I would guess there may be other
jurisdictions that offer no concessions at all. Charging such fees do not
prevent an individual from being accompanied by a service dog. If, however,
a jurisdiction required a special tag -whether or not they charged for such
a tag - identifying a dog as a service animal as a precondition to access,
this would be discriminatory. (There was one county in Florida that was
doing such a thing and I have heard of a few others around the country doing
the same.)

    Most states levy taxes on dog food, veterinarian care, and medications
for animals. These taxes are levied on everyone who makes such purchases
and, therefore, are not discriminatory. Some states offer a tax exemption
for food, medical treatment, and medications for a service dog; some do not.
Such a tax exemption is accompanied by the requirement that one show proof
that the dog is a service animal. The exemption is a privilege, not a civil
right.

    Having said this, I believe that those who owner-train should discuss
this issue with their taxing authority to create a policy through which they
would qualify for the same privileges as those with program-trained service
dogs. I would support such efforts in the interest of equity.

Fraternally yours,

Marion